Job Posting: Journalists (2x)
Written by stationmanager on 08/26/2020
CFUV 101.9 FM is a non-profit, volunteer-driven campus/community radio station located on the traditional, unceded, territories of the Songhees, Esquimalt, and WSÁNEĆ peoples and operates from the Student Union Building on the University of Victoria campus. CFUV aims to provide valuable resources, support, and opportunities to the diverse communities that exist in Victoria, BC.
CFUV is an equitable employer who employs personnel without discrimination based on race, ancestry, place of origin, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, and physical and mental disability. We encourage applicants to self-identify in their applications using CFUV’s Voluntary Self-Identification form.
The two (2) Journalists will be responsible for creating news content serving the Middle Eastern and Afro-Caribbean communities in Victoria, BC. This position is intended to increase news coverage and reporting within those communities as part of a national initiative towards diversifying news and making that coverage more accessible.
These positions are open to partial work-from-home/remote work situations. Some on-location work may be required.These positions are part of the Local Journalism Initiative (LJI). The LJI program was launched by the Community Radio Fund of Canada – Fonds Canadien de la Radio Communautaire (CRFC-FCRC) and is funded by the Government of Canada.
Please note that there are two Journalist positions available. CFUV encourages applications from individuals who self-identify as Middle Eastern or Afro-Caribbean.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Creating 2x pieces of news content (3-5 minutes each) per day
- Attend regular editorial meetings with Station staff, other Journalists, and LJI Coordinators
- Assist with CFUV news content development and training
- Other tasks as assigned
- Degree/Diploma/ in Journalism or Communications OR equivalent experience in broadcast/print/digital journalism and writing
- Strong writing, researching, and interviewing skills
- Awareness of community and regional concerns and issues
- Audio production experience
- Capable of working independently while balancing multiple deadlines
Anticipated contract length: September 14th 2020 – February 26th 2021Full-time (30 hours/week) at $17.00/hour (plus medical and dental benefits)
How to apply
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CFUV thanks all applicants, but please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please no phone calls, drop-ins, or printed resumes.